Saturday, August 20, 2011

Why pregnancy and I don't get along...

Wednesday I went to the Dr. for my appointment and found out I was a 2 and 70% effaced. My Dr was out of town and it was the nurse practitioner and she isn't the most gentle person so Dave and I joked that I would probably go into labor that night because of the exam. SO sure enough around midnight I started to feel really crappy and weird. I tried to sleep but my back was killing me and I didn't want to wake Dave because he had to be to work at 4:30am. Around 3:30 I couldn't take it anymore so I woke him and had him help me into the bath. We started timing my contractions and they were about 10 mins apart so he decided he would cancel his first appointment to see if the contractions stopped. At around 6am they were down to 5 mins apart and lasting a minute long so we decided to get ready to go to the hospital. The drive over things got a lot worse. We got to the hospital and they checked me and I haven't changed any but they hook me up to the moniters to watch me for an hour. My contractions started then at 3 mins apart and 1 minute long. I was dying. The nurse kept assuring me it had to be labor because of how long they were, how much pain I was in, and how regular they were. She comes back in an hour and no change :( She notices in my urine sample there was a slight bacteria so brings up the dreaded fact she needed to put in a catheter to check to see if I had an urinary tract infections (I had to have like 4 catheters when I was pregnant with Brinlee to check for uti's and seriously I hate them, I rather have blood taken or an IV put in. Maybe I am crazy but they seriously kill). So after a slight breakdown from me not wanting to have one and realizing today wasn't going to be the day for me to have my baby I got one, and sure enough it came back positive. The nurse explained that uti's are the number cause for early labor. So they sent me home on percocet and a major antibiotic. Definitely not how I was hoping to leave the hospital.

1 comments:

Beth said...

Oh how freaking crappy. Why couldn't she just do a clean catch and not do a catheter? I've never had one but I've put many in and they are no fun for sure. Sorry you had all that trouble.