Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Delivery

I was scheduled to be induced Monday but Sunday night the hospital called and said they were so busy that we shouldn't show up in the morning but just call and see if they could fit us in. I was a nervous wreck all night thinking they wouldn't fit us in and we wouldn't be able to have her til Tuesday. Finally around 10am Monday they let us come in. I got there and they got me all hooked up and ready to go. I wasn't having contractions or hadn't progressed any since the Dr examined me on Wednesday. I was strep positive so they got me going on my antibiotics and after a few hours the Dr on call came in the break my water. While he was doing it he said he could still feel a hand or something (which wasn't a shock) but he decided to order an ultra sound to make sure it was a hand. The nurse did the ultra sound and shocked us all and said she was completely breech.They went straight into action calling my doctor and get an OR ready to do a c section. I wish they hadn't broke my water because my contractions picked up majorly then and trying to talk my self in to a c section while feeling like I was dying was not very fun. Within the next 30 Min's I was sitting in the operating room getting my spinal. I was terrified. I knew there was a chance of a c section but this is not how I pictured it. Thank goodness it went by quick and there she was! She was born at 3:21 pm

The 2ND part of her delivery is, like I mentioned before, when the Dr examined me the for the first time her hand has been on her head. This isn't that uncommon and so they thought that when I went in to labor the contractions would make her move her hand, but what happened with Hadlee is that somewhere between Wednesday and Monday she flipped breech making her arm bend completely backwards. When they got her out it looked like it was broken or dislocated. So after 2 sets of x rays her Dr told us it is Erbs Palsy. This means that the nerves in her arms are either stretched or torn. My obgyn has never seen it before and my pediatrician has only seen it once in his 11 years of practicing. If they are just stretched it can be fixed with physical therapy if they are torn they either have to be fixed with surgery or a nerve replacement. We have a MRI set up at Primary Children's on Tuesday to find out exactly what is wrong.

But minus all the drama she has brought :) jk she is a wonderfully precious baby. I think she looks a lot like Brinlee did. She hardly ever cries and sleeps like a champ. Infact she sleeps so well she is making breast feeding hard because she wont stay awake:) I love her so much and already can't imagine what life was like with out her.You can see her poor little arm in this picture :(

3 comments:

Melissa Smith said...

She is so adorable! Such a pretty girl and Brinlee looks so happy to be a big sister. I love you! And I love the cherry coke in the pics too. :)

Beth said...

I can't believe she flipped on you. She must have done it in the night cause I bet you can feel that:) Glad you both are okay and you didn't have to get blood this time. Woot! Woot! She's adorable. I'll have to come meet her when your more settled.

Coco said...

I love that girl. Good luck today.